viernes, 9 de mayo de 2014

WHAT BEING AN AU PAIR FEELS LIKE

Hey everyone! First of all, I wrote this post in English, because while I was taking English lessons yesterday, I realized my English didn't improve as much as I expected, so let's make a change about it!

Let's talk about being an au pair, about this experience, what being an au pair abroad feels like, because until now I didn't tell you, and it is quite important to know it before coming here (or wherever you are going to be an au pair).

Well, making the decision of becoming an au pair is not easy at all, but I felt like that's what I really wanted to do, so here i am now. I knew that there were going to be days when I was going to feel sad and homesick, because it was told to me. But the truth is that I didn't really care, because I was absolutely sure about my decision of traveling to another country to improve my English skills, and know new places and people. When you do this (becoming an au pair), you obviously have certain expectations such learning a lot of English, traveling a lot or knowing many people, and so you feel so excited and anxious about that, but that's actually just the beginning. I have already done all this things, and it is amazing, and being able to live with a native family is great, but as everything, it has a "dark side", and there it comes. Sometimes being far away from your home country, your family and friends, feels homesick. In fact, last weekend, while I was in London, I had a conversation with one of my friends (who is an au pair too) about all this, all those great things that we have the opportunity to enjoy, it does not feel the same, because you cannot share them with the people that you love.

That's the first thing that everybody should know. Now, if I would have to describe what being an au pair is like, I would definitely say that it is challenging (for me, but it actually depends on each person), because everything is new or different: the food, the weather, the people, the culture, the language... EVERYTHING. And you have to get used to all those new things. Sometimes you are going to feel sad and homesick, and you are going to have bad days, and though that, you are going to have to smile and be patient because you are working with kids, and kids are sometimes (um, how would I say it?) not really nice, so you are going to have to learn to handle it, and "keep going".  But, no panic! This is actually good for you, because you are going to learn something from it all, and it's going to make you grow up as a person and mature, and that's great! So anyway, if you decide to become an au pair, you will get benefits from it.


ARE YOU AN AU PAIR? WHAT DO YOU THINK BEING AN AU PAIR FEELS LIKE?


4 comentarios:

  1. I start in 9 days. I´m a future au pair in England!!
    I´m very nervous!!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Oh, that's great! What part of England are you going to live in? hahaha I can understand you, it's so exciting! Good luck! :)

      Eliminar
  2. Hola! Mi nombre es Geraldine, tengo 18 años y soy de Argentina.
    Estoy pensando muy seriamente en convertirme en una Au Pair, pero tengo muchas dudas.
    Te melestaria poder escribirme un mail para que pueda contactarme con vos, o hablar por skype?

    Desde ya muchas gracias, te dejo mi mail, y te deseo lo mejor!
    saludos!!

    E-mail: aikiris@hotmail.com

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hola Marta, soy Nair una chica de Galicia de 19 anhos que ahora mismo es au pair en londres desde hace una semana, me gustaria poder hablar contigo. te dejo mi email: nair02@hotmail.com
    Gracias!

    ResponderEliminar

Deja aquí un comentario!